SIALORRHEA CAN NEGATIVELY
IMPACT PATIENTS’ QUALITY
OF LIFE AND CONTRIBUTE
TO SOCIAL ISOLATION.1,2
XEOMIN® is indicated in adults for the symptomatic treatment of:
- blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm,
- cervical dystonia of a predominantly rotational form
- spasticity of the upper limb and
- chronic sialorrhea due to neurological disorders in adults.
XEOMIN® (botulinum neurotoxin type A) is recommended by NICE, within its marketing authorisation, as an option for treating chronic sialorrhea caused by neurological conditions in adults. It is recommended only if the company provides it according to the commercial arrangement.3
XEOMIN® is the first and only pharmaceutical product approved for the treatment of chronic sialorrhea due to neurological disorders in adults.4
XEOMIN® showed a significant reduction in salivary flow rate5
In SIAXI, a prospective, placebo-controlled, randomised, double-blind, parallel-group phase III study (n=184), XEOMIN® demonstrated:
Significant reduction in salivary flow by up to 33% vs. placebo5CHANGE FROM BASELINE IN uSFR
- Sustained reduction of sialorrhea symptoms with repeated treatments over 64 weeks6
- Significant improvements in patients’ perception of functioning vs. placebo5
XEOMIN® has an established tolerability and safety profile5,6
- Generally well-tolerated in main study phase up to 16 weeks6
Most common treatment-emergent adverse events (TEAEs)*
|TEAEs were defined as adverse events (AEs) with onset or worsening at or after the 1st injection of XEOMIN® or placebo up to and before 1st injection of extension period (EP) or in case of discontinuation before EP up to and including 16 weeks after 1st injection or date of last study visit, whichever was later.||Placebo (n=36)||XEOMIN® 75 U (n=74)||XEOMIN® 100 U (n=74)|
|Percentage of patients|
|Fall||0||8.1 (6)||2.7 (2)|
|Dry mouth||0||5.4 (4)||4.1 (3)|
|Hypertension||2.8 (1)||2.7 (2)||4.1 (3)|
|Tooth extraction||0||0||5.4 (4)|
|Diarrhoea||2.8 (1)||1.4 (1)||4.1 (3)|
|Urinary tract infection||0||4.1 (3)||0|
- The percentage of patients with AEs and treatment-related AEs in the XEOMIN® group was similar to
those observed with placebo. There were no unexpected AEs with XEOMIN®
- Furthermore, XEOMIN® was generally well-tolerated in the extension phase up to 64 weeks
- No unexpected safety concerns were identified during three additional cycles of XEOMIN®
XEOMIN® is injected directly into the salivary glands providing targeted treatment of sialorrhea4
The following video gives guidance for injecting
with the use of ultrasound.
Treatment of the parotid gland
Treatment of the submandibular gland
by injection location4
The timing for repeat treatment should be determined based on the actual clinical need of the individual patient, and no sooner than every 16 weeks.
|GLAND(S)||UNITS PER SIDE||TOTAL|
|Parotid gland(s)||30 Units||60 Units|
|Submandibular gland(s)||20 Units||40 Units|
|Total||50 Units||100 Units|
Healthcare professional discussion on the treatment of adult sialorrhea with XEOMIN®
These videos are a selection taken from the launch of XEOMIN®’s indication in adult sialorrhea on
4th October 2019 and reflect the views and
opinions of healthcare professionals who
attended the launch.
Dr Donald Grosset
Dr Donald Grosset is a Consultant Neurologist at the Institute of Neurological Sciences, Glasgow and Honorary Professor at the University of Glasgow. His clinical and research interests are in Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders.
Professor Chris McDermott
Professor McDermott, Professor of Translational Neurology at SITraN and a Consultant Neurologist at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation NHS Trust, regularly leads specialist MND and neuromuscular clinics in Sheffield.
Miss Katherine George
Miss Katherine George is a Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon at Kings College Hospital, London. She specialises in conditions of the face, head and neck.
The following resources are available for download:
- If you would like further information or to arrange a call with a local key account manager,
please contact customer services on 0333 200 4140 or xeominUKinfo@merz.com
- For medical information please email: email@example.com
To register for training events please complete the form below and submit
What is your goal with your patients?
Let’s take BoNT therapy to the next level, together.
- Networking therapists - Promoting cooperation between therapists and BoNT injectors
- Education - High quality injection training with internationally recognised trainers
- XEOMIN® - Botulinum neurotoxin free from complexing proteins
- Team - Committed to working together to improve patient outcomes